The International Bar Association (IBA) Standing Committee on the Globalisation of the Legal Profession will discuss the Globalisation of the Legal Profession: Challenges to the Core Values of the Legal Profession – Attacks on Confidentiality/ Attorney Client Privilege at their Showcase session taking place at the IBA Conference in San Francisco, which runs between 14 and 19 September 2003.
This interactive session which takes place on 19 September, will challenge the audience and a group of managing and senior partners of multinational law firms, to debate the impact on the practitioner of recent events in the following three areas:
- The practical impact on international practitioners of the implementation by the US Securities and Exchange Commission of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, and its implications on confidentiality/ attorney client privilege.
- Recent efforts in the European Union and in North America to propose major competition-related reforms that could fundamentally change the manner in which legal practitioners, and the legal profession as a whole, are allowed to operate.
- The implementation of the second EU money laundering directive and similar reporting requirements in North America and other parts of the world, and their impact on confidentiality/attorney client privilege flowing from these increasing governmental efforts to redefine lawyers as gatekeepers.
The session will encourage audience participation in an attempt to understand and debate how these developments affect the interests and day-to-day practice of lawyers around the globe.
- Helge Jakob Kolrud President, CCBE, Brussels, Belgium
- Hans-Jürgen Hellwig Hengeler Mueller, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Ramón Mullerat OBE Mullerat, Barcelona, Spain
- Horacio Bernardes Neto Xavier Bernardes Braganca, São Paulo, Brazil
- Tomas Lindholm Roschier Holmberg Attorneys Ltd, Helsinki, Finland
- Margaret Tahyar Davis Polk & Wardwell, Paris, France
- Richard Fleck Herbert Smith, London, UK
- Lucien Wong Aleen & Gledhill, Singapore
- Stephen Revell Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Guy Beringer Allen & Overy, London UK
- Akira Kawamura Anderson Mori, Tokyo, Japan
- Chief Sena Anthony Nigerian National Petroleum Corp, Lagos, Nigeria
- Jonathan Goldsmith Secretary General, CCBE, Brussels, Belgium
- Jacques Buhart Herbert Smith, Paris, France
- Peter Thomas Simpson Thacher Bartlett, New York
- Willem Calkoen NautaDutilh, Rotterdam, Netherlands; Co-Chair, IBA Standing Committee on Globalisation of the Legal Profession
Over 3,000 leading lawyers from the world’s major jurisdictions will participate in the IBA Conference 2003, San Francisco. Attendees will not only benefit from extensive networking opportunities, but can expect to receive the most up-to-date and substantive information relating to cross-border practice of law from some of the most recognised and highly respected experts in their fields.
To find out more about the Conference, please visit www.ibanet.org/sanfrancisco, or contact Caroline Kerr, Senior Marketing and Public Relations Executive, tel: +44 (0)20 7629 1206 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.