A webinar presented by the IBA’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI)
The escalation of human rights crimes in China has been alarming much of the world. In the last five years there has been a growing body of evidence of aggression towards Hong Kong and Taiwan and grievous human rights abuses in China, directed mainly at the Uighur community.
The question now arises as to whether this testimony meets the threshold for Genocide of the Uighurs, the crime above all other crimes. Is the current international law regime for prosecuting Genocide inadequate, given the power of states like China and Russia to veto prosecution? Are new proposals in the UK to involve domestic courts in determining whether genocide is in progress a legitimate reform? If a High Court Declaration is made that genocide is taking place, should such a determination vitiate a trading contract with the offending country?
A vital and timely discussion about the role of China in the modern world and some of the legal implications.
- Baroness Helena Kennedy QC Director, IBA Human Rights Institute, London
- Hon Irwin Cotler Former Attorney General of Canada, Montreal
- Dr Mark Ellis Executive Director, International Bar Association, London
- Lisa Nandy Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs, London
- Rahima Mahmut Director of the World Uyghur Congress, London
- Sir Iain Duncan Smith Former Leader of the Conservative Party from 2001 to 2003, London
|Prices in GBP + UK VAT @ 20%, where applicable:|
Session recordings, where applicable, will be available to all registered delegates; registration fees are non-refundable. Please note registration will close one hour prior to the event.
Certificate of Attendance
Certificates of attendance for each session will be provided, automatically, to all IBA members who have registered in advance and attended the live broadcast for a minimum of 30 minutes based on verified sign-in and sign-out times. Certificates can only be issued to the name provided at the time of registration. If you have any queries relating to your Certificate of Attendance, please email email@example.com