From from the Co-Chairs of the Leisure Industries Committee
We hope all of you, your loved ones and your colleagues are safe and well in this still difficult time. Although many things have been put on hold, much of our work has continued and new challenges have arisen. The Leisure Industries Section has been working to monitor legal developments in the travel, hospitality, tourism, sports and gaming industries, all of which have been hugely impacted by Covid-19.
In this e-bulletin, the Leisure Industries Section are happy to bring you a selection of informative articles that we have received from our members:
- Jesús Manuel Colunga Victoria of Basham, Ringe y Correa outlines the new impact of Covid-19 measures on the leisure and hospitality industry in Mexico;
- Steve Austin Nwabeuze and Damilola Alada of Pechstone & Graeys comments on the inadequacy of the intellectual property framework in Sub-Saharan Africa, especially Nigeria, in the context of protecting the IP of fashion labels and brands;
- Dr Artemis Divrioti of Roussos & Partners discusses the impact of Covid-19 on guarantee hotel contracts in Greece;
- Steve Austin Nwabueze of Pechstone & Graeys provides commentary on the use of athlete’s image rights for commercial purposes; and
- Lieven Peeters, Jessica Xiong and Vera Van Thuyne of Altius Lawyers discusses the European Union Court of Justice's decision that national legislation requiring authorisation or permit, or short-term rentals of residential property, is in line with EU law.
Besides further e-Bulletins, the Leisure Industries Section plans to host webinars in the coming months and encourages our members to propose webinar topics that may be of interest to the membership. We will inform you in due course of the scheduled webinars.
The Leisure Industries Section looks forward to fully engaging with our members and hopes that we can meet in person sooner rather than later. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any matter of interest to the Section.
We thank you all for your continued support of the Leisure Industries Section and wish you continued success and good health.
Elias Hayek and Natalie St Cyr Clarke
Co-Chairs, Leisure Industries Section