Covid-19 and human rights in Central America
This webinar will discuss the ways in which three countries in Central America - ie Costa Rica, El Salvador and Nicaragua - have responded to Covid-19, including recurrent violations of international human rights and the rule of law that have occurred therein. In two of the three cases, IBAHRI has issued calls to the governments to address these violations. Join us on this webinar to explore patterns in violations and potential remedies.
In this video, Herman Duarte, IBA Human Rights Law Committee Latin American Liaison Officer, discusses the impact of Covid-19 with IBAHRI Co-Chair, The Hon Justice Michael Kirby.
They cover the following topics:
- The role of information, transparency and proportionality
- The contrast between El Salvador and Nicaragua
- The role of science in the pandemic
- The role of international organisations
- The importance of transparency and the Chinese Communist Party
Herman Duarte Re-recorded closing remarks