Notes to the Editor
- The High Level Panel of Legal Experts on Media Freedom is the independent advisory body of the Media Freedom Coalition. The High Level Panel was established in July 2019 at the request of the Coalition’s inaugural Co-Chairs, Canada and the United Kingdom, and is composed of leading experts in the field of international law.
The High Level Panel’s remit is to provide legal advice and recommendations to the Coalition and its partners, including international organisations, for the purposes of promoting and protecting a vibrant, free, and independent media. The High Level Panel also provides individual States with legal advice in the form of legal opinions on draft legislation or legislation already in force, where media freedoms are engaged, as well as amicus curiae opinions at the request of a constitutional court or an international court in a media freedom case of general public importance.
The High Level Panel’s Secretariat is the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute, providing it with operational, technical, and legal assistance. The work of the High Level Panel is supported by the Global Media Defence Fund, administered by UNESCO. The Chair of the High Level Panel is the Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury and its Deputy Chairs are Mr Can Yeginsu and Ms Catherine Amirfar.
- Click here to see more on the High Level Panel of Legal Experts on Media Freedom’s activity at the Global Conference for Media Freedom, 9-10 February 2022, in Tallinn, Estonia.
- Related material:
- Joint Communiqué of Media Freedom Coalition: www.international.gc.ca/news-nouvelles/2022/2022-02-09-freedom-expression-media-liberte-expression-medias.aspx?lang=eng
- High Level Panel of Legal Experts on Media Freedom Leadership: www.ibanet.org/Can-Yeginsu-and-Catherine-Amirfar-announced-to-the-leadership-of-the-High-Level-Panel-of-Legal-Experts-on-Media-Freedom
- The International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI), established in 1995 under Founding Honorary President Nelson Mandela, is an autonomous and financially independent entity, working to promote, protect and enforce human rights under a just rule of law, and to preserve the independence of the judiciary and the legal profession worldwide.
- Find the IBAHRI (@IBAHRI) on social media here:
- The International Bar Association (IBA), the global voice of the legal profession, is the foremost organisation for international legal practitioners, bar associations and law societies. Established in 1947, shortly after the creation of the United Nations, it was born out of the conviction that an organisation made up of the world's bar associations could contribute to global stability and peace through the administration of justice.
The IBA acts as a connector, enabler, and influencer, for the administration of justice, fair practice, and accountability worldwide. The IBA has collaborated on a broad range of ground-breaking, international projects with the United Nations, the European Parliament, the Council of Europe, The Commonwealth, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the World Trade Organization, the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, among others.
- Find the IBA (@IBAnews) on social media here:
For further information, please contact: the IBA Human Rights Institute at IBAHRI@int-bar.org
Website page link for this news release:
Short link: https://tinyurl.com/ytf83m93
Full link: https://www.ibanet.org/High-Level-Panel-of-Legal-Experts-on-Media-Freedom-call-for-media-freedom-during-Third-Global-Conference