The IBA’s response to the war in Ukraine
IBA President’s blog highlights the ‘courage of our Ukraine colleagues’
For her latest blog post, International Bar Association (IBA) President Almudena Arpón de Mendívil Aldama invited law colleagues in Ukraine to speak directly of their experiences as they continue to carry out their professional duties amidst the ongoing war. Ms de Mendívil praised their courage.
On the anniversary of Russia’s 24 February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, the five short videos are particularly poignant. The lawyers relaying their realities in their own words are shared here on the IBA website: Walking the Talk: Our brave Ukraine colleagues. The below listed speakers, some still in Ukraine and others who have relocated elsewhere, talk of being resistant, resilient and resolute, of the challenges and uncertainty they face, continuous missile and drone attacks, air raid alarms, volunteering, closing deals, pro bono work and of justice prevailing and peace.
- Daniel Bilak, Chairman of Kinstellar's practice in Ukraine;
- Nazar Chernyavsky, Chief Executive Officer of Sayenko Kharenko law firm;
- Tatyana Slipachuk, Special Advisor of Sayenko Kharenko law firm;
- Volodomyr Yakubovskyy, Partner at Nobles law firm; and
- Galyna Zagorodniuk, partner in Kinstellar's Kyiv office.
Ms de Mendívil Aldama commented earlier today: ‘We have witnessed a flagrant breach of the law for a year now. We are experiencing a great threat to democracy and justice. The international legal community, with the IBA acting as its common voice, has reacted not only by supporting Ukraine on all possible legal fronts, but also by reaffirming the fundamental values of our profession. I wish to use this anniversary to signal that the IBA will make every possible effort to ensure there will be legal accountability, including individual criminal liability. Finally, I express again today my solidarity and admiration for our Ukraine colleagues who continue performing their duties before their clients and their country in the worst circumstances.’
Notes to the Editor
- Click here to view the IBA Presidency page.
- The IBA’s Russia-Ukraine crisis hub page provides information about how the IBA is supporting Ukraine following Russia’s invasion.
- Related items:
- The International Bar Association (IBA), the global voice of the legal profession, is the foremost organisation for international legal practitioners, bar associations and law societies. Established in 1947, shortly after the creation of the United Nations, it was born out of the conviction that an organisation made up of the world's bar associations could contribute to global stability and peace through the administration of justice.
- Find the IBA on social media here:
Please direct enquiries/interview requests to:
Romana St. Matthew-Daniel
International Bar Association
5 Chancery Lane
London WC2A 1LG
Mobile: +44 (0)7940 731 915
Direct Line: +44 (0)20 7842 0094
Main Office: +44 (0)20 7842 0090
Fax: +44 (0)20 7842 0091
Website page link for this news release:
Short link: tinyurl.com/yc62t5wc
Full link: www.ibanet.org/IBA-Presidents-blog-highlights-the-courage-of-our-Ukraine-colleagues